Overview / Key Components;
- Use a template which is a commonly used “framework” designed to help you fill in your personalized information.
- Profile of yourself – full name – address – phone and email address.
- List your Goal – Resumes start out with an objective statement from the Candidate stating what they want to do and specify the position they want.
- State your Academic Achievements, start with high school, then post secondary education and then any other non-school achievements, ie. language school, or anything else you attended while in school which creates a skill you can market yourself with.
- Create a “brag” list of your activities and awards section to list everything you have attended which is either a sports, academic or a community or public service value. Participate in your local Community and list those experiences on your Resume, ie. Volunteered at community event, charity event or church function.
- Finding Employers can also happen through Community involvement so be visible and active in your local Community to be able to meet people face to face, this is a great way to get introductions and let people know you are looking for work!
Skills and Experience;
Look for more skills to enhance your marketable skills section. Apply the outcomes and experiences of your education to create “action statements” about things you have done. Ie. Led a group of co-workers in a group PowerPoint presentation, as a speaker.
Volunteer Experience & Work Experience Section;
This volunteer section is welcome and pleasing to employers when considering Newcomer workers who do not necessarily have formal job experience.
Build your resume with adding Volunteer Experience and Work Experience Roles. For example, participate. Apply those experiences as part of your volunteer section.
Consider and pursue Volunteer Experience Roles and Work Experience Roles posted on NewcomersjobsCanada. Apply for those roles with your resume. Take the experience you are learning from and post this experience on your resume in this Volunteer Experience and Work Experience Section.
Links and Resume Resources